Water for Production
Water for Production (WfP) is a department in Ministry of Water and Environment with a major objective of promoting development of cost-effective and sustainable water supply and water management for increased production and contribution to the modernization of the agricultural sector in Uganda with a focus on poverty reduction and minimal environmental impacts through:
- Bulk water transfer from areas of plenty to areas of scarcity.
- Promoting water resources assessment and planning for agricultural production.
- Increasing the capacity of the farmers to access and use of water for crop, livestock and fisheries production.
- Promoting appropriate water harvesting technologies for irrigation and livestock development.
- Promoting the participation of the farmers and the private sector in financing and planning, development and management of irrigation and livestock water supply systems.
- Provision of technical support to Line Ministries and Local Government.
A river diversion structure (background) and main canal taking water to farmland.
An onion field under irrigation
Earth dam constructed by the Ministry
Egg plants under drip irrigation on a demonstration plot. Water was obtained from a dam.
Cattle drinking from a trough at one of the Ministry's valley tanks